Are you responsible to pay an invoice for a preliminary floor plan if you never signed a contract or discussed cost?

Lilburn, GA |

Contemplated building a custom home in Georgia. Talked to a custom builder's agent without a contract. Asked for sample custom floor plans. Builder emailed a link to Sater Homes website. We identified a floor plan from the website and asked builder for a free quote. Deferred - to expensive. Builder's agent later contacted us about a foreclosure with similar features. Saw property with the agent but decided repairs were too costly. Agent proposed to have builder look at property to cost it out. Builder said a similar floor plan existed and would have us look at it. No contract or cost ever discussed, but builder contractor presented preliminary plan to view. Discussion tabled due to price to build & no cost discussed for plan, but later received invoice for plan around $900.

Best Answer

I agree with Mr. Lyon. Whether you are liable for the $900 would depend on whether you were informed that there would be a cost to receiving the floor plan prior to its receipt. An attorney would need to see the entire string of communications between you, the agent and the builder to see if a contract was formed.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

The builder had provided us with free quotes and a free website to view plans. Never informed that we would have to pay for a preliminary plan.

Michael T Millar

Michael T Millar

Without an agreement, the builder cannot make you pay for the plans.

Ok - thank you.

It would be a factual question regarding whether you agreed to a binding contract for the $900. Agreements don't have to be in writing to be enforceable, but you had to have agreed to a specific price for there to be an enforceable contract.

This is helpful to understand that agreements don't have to be in writing, but we know we never agreed to a price so therefore this is not an enforceable contract. Question: We will agree to pay the contract a reasonable consideration of no more than $150 for his efforts, will that an agreement if he does not accept it?

Question revised. If we agree to pay the contractor a reasonable amount of no more than $150 for his plan, is that considered fair?

Glenn M. Lyon

Glenn M. Lyon

I really don't know since I don't know all the facts and what is fair is subject.

Did anyone tell you that you would have to pay for the preliminary plan? Communicate with the agent and builder. Consult an attorney if you do not resolve the matter.

No. We were not told we would have to pay for the preliminary plan.

Should we even offer the contractor who did the plan $150 for his efforts because he is complaining to us.

Daliah Brill

Daliah Brill

Consult with an attorney. Bring all documents including emails. You are welcome to contact my office on Monday and set up an appointment. 678 461 7770 or another attorney you choose.

The short answer is that an attorney can't give you an off-the-cuff answer without asking aa bunch of questions and reviewing any documents you did sign (perhaps with the builder).

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC.
www.atl-law.com
770-309-9551

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: www.atl-law.com Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.

I did say we never signed anything.