Skip to main content

Are we responsible for a previous owners Association fees? (Florida home)

Delran, NJ |

Before we purchased the home , I did a check with the local county and there were no liens on the property . Now that we have ownership , the association is saying that we are responsible for his past due fees . Apparently before we took ownership it was in the hands of a lawyer but nothing was filed with the courts at that point .

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


If Florida is anything like New Jersey then the answer would be yes. Prior to closing you should have obtained a statement of accounts from the Association to determine what if any outstanding balances were owed by the Seller of the unit. Failing to do so leaves the new owner liable for the deficiency. The fact that no Condo Lien was placed on the unit in the county records means nothing. This is just another classic example of why it is important to retain counsel when purchasing real estate.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and is provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Responses are based solely upon New Jersey law.


I recommend retaining Florida counsel to resolve this issue. I suggest you do so quickly as I imagine the homeowners' association wants to resolve this matter quickly.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.


Where you represented by counsel when you purchased the home? I would think an attorney would have inquired as to outstanding monies owed in addition to obtaining the by laws, rules and regulations and budget. As has been answered, if Florida is anything like NJ this would be your responsibility. I would therefore suggest contacting Florida counsel for advice. Good luck.

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box. NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.