Skip to main content

Are there USA Grants for legal aid/help for people that are low income? If so, what are they called?

Olympia, WA |
Attorney answers 3


No such grants exist. Legal services for low income people is partially funded by the federal government through the Legal Services Corporation. Opinion is unanimous that the legal resources provided through the funded legal aid programs is sufficient to satisfy only a small percentage of meritorious cases and deserving clients. Many programs must limit services to public benefits and housing cases.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


I agree with my colleague. There are two main forms of legal aid service agencies in the US. the LSC funded programs are known as restricted programs and provide legal services to poor populations who meet program priorities. There also exist not LSC funded programs that do not have such restrictions and they are usually funded by state IOTA funds or local pro bono agencies. Also many county or regional bar associations have pro bono programs for those that meet criteria such as financial need. You should conduct an Internet search to determine what legals errvice agencies or pro bono programs exist in your area. Good luck.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


You may want to contact the Washington State Bar Association Moderate Means Program, they have attorneys willing to take referrals on a sliding scale, for reduced rates, or even pro bono.
You may want to try to contact Northwest Justice Project, or CLEAR to see if you can get a pro bono appointment.
The funding for legal aid agencies from the Legal Foundation of Washington, from interest on lawyer's trust accounts has diminished, our local legal aid office has just announced a shortfall, so it might be tough but it can't hurt to ask.

William D. Edelblute

William D. Edelblute


The phone number for CLEAR is 1-888-201-1014. They screen requests for legal help for low income people.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer