Skip to main content

Are there other options that can be done by the probation office instead of submitting a probation violation to the court?

Fredericksburg, VA |

A probation violation has been submitted after disposition of a new misdemeanor charge. In the last 15 months, probation meetings were geared toward community service and possible classes. Probation violation has now been submitted to court.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It goes to court but there may be some alternative to revoking your probation. I'd suggest you obtain a lawyer to represent you, they can often negotiate some alternative to revocation. Hope that's helpful


You need a lawyer for this.

One of the conditions of your probation is that you avoid any new charges. Only convictions will be used against you, though. New charges do not need to be a strong focus during your meetings with the probation officer. They just run your record and look to see if there is anything new.

What will happen in court depends largely upon how your judge views the charge. Needless to say, if the new charge is for a repeat of the offense that got you on probation or for disobeying a direct order of that judge (for example, driving while suspended after that judge suspended your license), you are in far more trouble than if it is for something relatively minor. The judge may also consider how well you've been doing on probation otherwise. So, continue complying with the rest of your probation requirements as much as you possibly can.


Depending on the severity of the violation, a probation officer can simply warn the probationer of their misconduct. There is a big difference in between a minor violation (missing curfew once) and a major curfew (new criminal charges).