Skip to main content

Are there grandparents rights in MI

Clare, MI |
Attorney answers 2


Yes, but under limited circumstances. A grandparent may seek grandparenting time in many situations including actions for divorce, circumstances where the grandparent’s child is deceased, unmarried parents residing separately and the father has established paternity, custody is given to a third party and the child is placed outside the parental home, or in the year preceding the commencement of an action for grandparenting time, the grandparent provided an established custodial environment for the child. MCL 722.27b(1).

The courts give the benefit of the doubt to the parent, so if they find that a "fit parent" is deciding not to let a grandparent see the child, the court will deny grandparent visits unless you can prove to the court that failure to exercise grandparenting time would create a substantial risk of harm to the child.

Good luck!


Attorney Stone is absolutely correct in my opinion. I recommend you contact an Attorney in your area to evaluate your facts as to Attorney Stones advice on the law. John R. Moritz

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer