Skip to main content

Are there federal assisted elder care programs available for those who can't afford it?

Phoenix, AZ |

Are there any federal assisted programs that help old people who can't afford anything at all? Where do I need to go to seek help?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The answer will largely depend on what you are looking for help with. Medicaid is available for seniors in all 50 states and can help with nursing home stays and Medical bills. Further Medicaid can also help with home care and assisted living in many locations. There are other programs such as widow benefits through Social Security and Medicare. There are food stamp programs available to help people in the community.

In Florida for example there are programs to help seniors who need assisted living faciliites and a few home health programs (although they are not fully funded and often have a waiting list; still the list in on need not first in line). Here we have the Area Agency on Aging and Council on Aging to help arrange programs. My recommendation would be to contact an Elder Law attorney in Phoenix and ask their staff what organization is in your area that can help explain what programs are available. You might also call the local hospital discharge social workers and ask them if they know of an organization that can help you find what programs are available.

So in short the answer is yes there are programs on both the Federal and State level to help seniors. You just need to seek them out.

Good luck!

Legal disclaimer: Jason Waddell provides this information as general advise and recommends consulting with a local attorney as even in Florida matters may be handled differently from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Nothing herein should be construed as specific legal advise to a specific case . All content is general in nature due to the limited information given to the attorneys. . Attorneys are unable to ask the questions necessary to fully understand the legal issues faced by any particular poster. They are not tailored to any reader’s specific situation, will not be accurate in all states, and are never updated or maintained to reflect changes in the law. No person should take action based on the information provided on or any other law-themed website without first consulting a local attorney. Pursuant to IRS Circular 230, no online content may be used by any person to avoid taxes or penalties under the Internal Revenue Code. No information presented by anyone online is confidential in nature, and no online reading or writing will create an attorney-client relationship between you and Atty