Are there any limits on what an attorney can charge a minor in a contingency fee agreement?

My son had a personal injury and my wife and I engaged an attorney on a contingency basis at 1/3. They never filed a lawsuit but got an offer we want to accept but it seems that 1/3 is high given that the amount of work wasn't that great. The offer is 3 million of which they want one million.

Many lawyers don't have these high fees. A reasonable fee is less than 30%. Don't get hurt twice. You can find a top-rated Avvo attorney in your city with a low fee, and fees are listed on Avvo profile pages.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Wouldn't it be a little late to be starting over with new counsel at this point, given the stage of proceedings reported by the asker? Hard to see any economic benefit to the client at this point.

Edward R. Yaghoubi

Edward R. Yaghoubi

In California, a retainer for a Minor cannot exceed 25%. You will notice when they attempt to get the minor's compromise approved, (of which, every case that involves a minor and the settlement is above $5k must do so) the judge will reject any attorneys fees above that percentage.

Any attorney's fee in compromise of a minor's claim in CA must be approved by the probate court and the minor's funds must be placed in a blocked account or an annuity purchased as approved by the court. Withdrawals for the benefit of the minor are only with court approval. Generally, attorney's fees are limited by local court rules to 25% and may be less depending on the exact facts. BTW, a $3M settlement is not paid lightly. I bet your attorneys earned every dollar of their contingency fee.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

My experience is that we are limited to 25 percent. You may check with the California Bar at: calbar.org
Best of luck

This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

attorney fees are no longer limited to 25%, but as generally applied by the Courts it still works that way. This matter will need to be submitted to the Court through a Petition to Compromise a minor's claim. In that petition the attorney will request their fee and will be required to set forth in a declaration all the work they did on the case to justify the fee. You need to sign off on that petition and appear in court on the hearing to approve the petition - So you hold significant power at this point to negotiate down the fee. I will say that $3 million dollar settlements do not come easy and it is very likely your attorney did a lot more work than you realize. But now is the time to sit down with the attorney and figure out a fair fee request. Just because you signed the fee agreement does not automatically mean the attorney will be able to recover that amount of fee - when large recoveries are made with relatively little effort by the attorney the courts have held the contingency fee agreement unconscionable.