Skip to main content

Are there any licensing or certification requirements for opening a window washing business?

Stephenville, TX |

I'm thinking of starting a window washing business. I will be the sole employee. I plan to advertise through flyers (as opposed to door-to-door soliciting). Will I need any special licenses from the city, certifications, etc.?

I'd like to keep things as simple as possible. I don't plan on hiring anyone else. It's just a way to make some money. The job market around here isn't exactly jumping, and I figured window washing would be cheap as far as start-up costs for materials, etc...

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Start with your city's finance office, which you can probably find online. You're likely to need a business license, and to pay business tax for this business.

And that's the city requirements. You're also going to be responsible for state and federal income taxes.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.


Call the city clerk and she (or he) will let you know what licenses you need.
See a business attorney for establishment of a business so you minimize personal liability and to clear and protect your business name.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.


Contact the city clerk in the city in which you will render the services and ask what are the requiewmwnts to conduct this business.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer