Skip to main content

Are there any lawyers that handle out of state cases?

Saint Charles, MO |

I'm looking for a child custody lawyer that handles cases in the state of Maryland but from the St. Charles Missouri area? I moved to Maryland and had my daughter there then moved back to Missouri maybe a month later. I have more details just don't want to put it all out there. email me at tabathastark64@

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You might be able to locate a Missouri lawyer who also has a license in Maryland. And most lawyers can qualify for a permission to handle a case out of state, through an application for status called "pro hac vice." But that usually requires the client to also retain a local Maryland attorney to work on the case as well. To that point, you are most likely best served by having a local attorney who is familiar with the judges, opposing counsel, the applicable Maryland laws, etc.

Mr. Walter's answers are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship and are based on only the limited information provided in the question. Thus, they should not be considered as legal advice, and persons seeking legal advice should contact Mr. Walter directly and/or another attorney with a law license in the state in which your situation arose. Mr. Walter is licensed to practice law in Missouri and Illinois.


You can use avvo's find a lawyer tab. An attorney can work on a case by case basis out of State if approved by the Judge and using local counsel. Good luck to you.