Skip to main content

Are there any Lawyers available to help a single unemployed mom in Boston with a child custody case.

Boston, MA |

i am a single unemployed mom left in a bad financial situation by my 3 year old sons father are there any lawyers in the local Boston area willing to help with a custody case with out costing astronomical fees?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The short answer is maybe. Depending on your financial circumstances, you might be eligible for free legal assistance from Greater Boston Legal Services, the Volunteer Lawyers Project, Senior Partners for Justice or Harvard Legal Aid. See the MassLegalServices link below for those programs.

Some lawyers will handle a divorce, support or contempt case using the statute and court rules that give the option of getting a court order for the defendant to pay the plaintiff's legal fees. You can use the Mass. Bar Lawyer Referral Service to find a custody lawyer who is on their low income panel and will give you an initial consultation for no more than $40 for a half hour. See the link below.

Massachusetts' new Limited Assistance Representation Program makes it possible for litigants to hire a lawyer for portions of a case which means that you can control how much you want to spend on the lawyer. See the link of LARP FAQs below.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer