Skip to main content

Are there any laws in CT concerning opposite gender kids sharing a room?

Granby, CT |

I have recently finalized divorce and child custody and have moved in with my girlfriend and her 8 yr old daughter. I have a 5 yr old son, and his legal residence is with me in CT, but now, his mother is threatening court because she says it's against CT law for them to share a room. We just moved in and plan on getting a bigger place when we save some more money.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hello, I am a Connecticut and New York licensed attorney with my offices in Stratford, CT approximately one hour from Granby. There are no laws specific to this exact situation. Things like this may be looked at by a case by case basis by DCF. A family study could be done to determine the appropriateness of the situation. For further information contact our offices.

We can be reached at 203-870-6700. Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Rosenberg and Press, LLC are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Rosenberg and Press helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.


As t how it is working right now, it depends on a lot of factors including how the children act together and what other arrangements are made for privacy.
There is no specific law, but at some point you may want to start having the child of your sex move in with you. Or that bigger place with certainly solve the problem.

Attorney Bruce S. Gordon is an experienced Divorce and Family attorney and mediator, 203.. 259 . 1100 This not legal advice which can only be given after a full disclosure and discussion regarding your particular situation. Any answer or comment by the attorney des not create an attorney client relationship and is not protected by privelege.