Skip to main content

Are there any family law attorneys that take payments, or it this a myth?

Jackson, GA |

I need a family law attorney for an upcoming custody case. I have contacted legal aide, and various other avenues re: reduced rates but no one will take my case due to there being no direct family violence against me from my ex recently (there was while we were married). We are divorced, he gained temp custody of my 7 year old son last year due to a material change in circumstances on my part (i kept all parental rights). He has since gone back to jail for Domestic Violence, the judge awarded custody to the step mom for 2 weeks. I had that reversed and temp custody came to me. Now we have to have a new trial to decide final custody.I need an atrorney that will take payments and who isn't afraid to go up against Butts County's good ole boy system. I am finding this to be hard to find......

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


First a tip. Lawyers will run from helping you when you rail against an alleged "good ole boy system." That is not out of fear of a "system." It is because your focus is wrong. No good lawyer is intimidated by the legal system, so stop blaming the system and show a lawyer that YOU feel YOUR case has merit. That is how you win.

As for lawyers taking payments, some do and some don't. There are many excellent lawyers in your area - especially in McDonough and Stockbridge.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.



Mr. Ashman, Thank you for your response. Please understand-it was not my intention to come off as blaming the system. I have been involved with this county court for over 15 years and in 10 family law cases. When you mention Butts County or my ex's lawyer to potential lawyers I have contacted- the response is either an additional $1000.00 up front or they decline the case. Before even hearing what my case is about. So when I say I have to find a lawyer who will take payments and not fear the good ole boy system down here... it is from experience not ignorance or insult. And I do appreciate your time and advice.


It is not a myth; there are attorneys who are willing to accept payment plans. However, you have to find one who is willing to do so after gaining an understanding of the issues contained in your case and the type of arrangement/payments you wish to make.

For lists of attorneys practicing in your area, use this site's "Find a Lawyer" link, or the State Bar of Georgia's search function. Consider expanding your search to include attorneys whose offices are located in neighboring cities.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.



Ms. Eyo- Thank you for your response. I will look into the find a lawyer link and the state bar.


There are such attorneys. Try contacting some of the fine attorneys on this website in your area.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.

Avvo child custody email series

Sign up to receive a 3-part series of useful information and advice about child custody law.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer