Skip to main content

Are the Virginia guidelines for child support supposed to be followed?

Richmond, VA |

I am going though a difficult child support case with the grandparents of my child. I am currently paying $490 in child support a month and I only make on average $920 a month. I am in back support up to $12,000 over the course of 3 years (I was still paying when I had a job, I just got backed up because I was required to pay so much). As a result, my license has been suspended and I need to be able to drive to get to and from work. Are the Virginia guidelines for child support required to be followed? If so, I need to speak to a lawyer because the judge that I have for my case has denied me on several occasions when it comes to requesting to lower my support even when I was out of work and he has repeatedly said no. I would gladly appreciate it if someone could contact me regarding this.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Yes you are required to follow the court order. If you want to speak with a lawyer, call the state bar and request a referral or try the avvo find a lawyer tab.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III


You can also try legal aid.


The guidelines are just that, guidelines. They are advisory and the court may order an amount above or below based on the circumstances. You should speak personally with an attorney in your area. Use the "Find A Lawyer" button above for references. Good luck.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Anneshia Miller Grant
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-0195 - 24 Hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.