Are settlement payments tax deductible?

Torrance, CA |

Settled outside of court for a breach of contract lawsuit regarding embezzlement. Monthly payments are made, are they tax deductible?

I understand punitive damages are not tax deductible but in the settlement agreement, there is no admission of guilt. Additionally, the IRS defines nondeductible penalties as those paid to the government, not to private companies or individuals.

I can't imagine that the payments would be tax deductible. But to GE on the safe side you should consult your CPA or tax preparer.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

As the son of a tax accountant, I can confidently say the following: Check with your CPA, EA or a tax attorney. There are many variables in your question which should be carefully considered by a tax professional. Good luck.

*Scott G. Nathan has been licensed to practice law in California since 1983. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice for any particular case or matter. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with Scott G. Nathan or my law firm. For specific advice about your particular situation, you should consult with an attorney immediately.

Speak with a CPA or tax attorney. I'd say most settlements are not deductible, but it is possible that this is a cost of doing business that could be expensed.

Good luck!

Rob