Skip to main content

Are resources available for persons with disabilities who are victim of crime?

Fitchburg, MA |

A former friend intended to exploit my disability by committing credit card fraud/identity theft. She plead guilty in District Court for these charges. I had to wait in criminal court from 8am-2pm for her hearing, as she has also stolen property from me as well. I had a hearing with her and the Clerk Magistrate following the Private Criminal Complaint I submitted regarding the theft + was required to attend. The Clerk Magistrate gave her one week to return the property; I was ordered to go to the District Court at the convenience of her schedule to have my property returned. She failed to produce the property as promised, and the Clerk gave her another week to send a check via certified mail for the vale of the property. She failed again. I have to go into court yet again + I am disabled.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

People have complained for many years that the court system favors the criminal and revictimizes the victim of a crime. How many chances will your former friend be given by the court? I have no idea, but it sounds like the Clerk is trying to make you whole by returning your property or getting financial restitution for you. I'm not sure how your disability is a factor in this scenario, but I agree that contacting the victim advocate is a good next step. Good luck!

Gary S. Sinclair is an attorney licensed to practice in Massachusetts. If you wish to contact me or any other attorney on AVVO, just click on the attorney's name and you will find contact information. All of my answers are based on Massachusetts law or a simple reading of the law in your jurisdiction. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to your question. The information provided should NOT be relied upon for making legal decisions. You will be best served by hiring an attorney in your area who specializes in the field of law pertinent to your question.


Talk to a victim advocate in the local prosecutor's office about this.

I am unfamiliar with the phrase "Private Criminal Complaint." Was she not charged with a crime by the prosecutor?

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:



Thank you for you response! I will be in contact with the DA Victim's Advocate. I had to pay the District Court to file a "Criminal Complaint" for stolen property and later an employee at the Clerk's Office referred to it as a "Private Criminal Complaint". I am still uncertain as to why I had to pay to report stolen property / have an investigation initiated.



re: charged w/ crime by prosecutor: she was charged with the fraud/identity theft against me, though I was told by the Clerk's office that I will soon be receiving a "postcard" with info regarding the date/time of the individual's trial in criminal court for theft against me. I was told that I would have to return to the court to sign a document -- I'm truly hoping that I do not have to attend the trial, as I am disabled. I would like to sue this individual for additional civil matters (minimum $1,000) as recommended by the Clerk Magistrate, but her noncompliance thus far makes the situation seem hopeless.