Are police allowed to curse at you, make fun of, or indirectly threaten you?

Boca Raton, FL |

Yesterday i was issued an arrest as a MIP but the cops we're extremely rude. They were dropping F-bombs, insinuating that i was gay based on how i answered one of their questions, and were threatening that if i tried to run i would "get hurt" and "it would be very painful" for me.

they also did state that i am under arrest but i was never read my Miranda Rights. Is any of this legal?

Best Answer

You need an attorney. Not having been your Miranda Rights may or may not be important. If you were not questioned after your arrest, Miranda doesn't apply. MIP can greatly impact your future. Boca cops are notorious for the behavior you described, but it may or may not have been improper. An experienced attorney must review and evaluate the case for you.

Feel free to call my office for a free consultation.

--John S. Riordan, Esq.
West Palm Beach, FL
(561) 650-8291

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

A good attorney can use this to your advantage. www.BryceFetter.com

Law enforcement officers are not supposed to do any of the things that you described as happening to you. Unfortunately, some think they can get away with it because it's their word against yours. Fortunately with cell phones and video cameras all over the place some officers have recently been caught on camera saying and doing inappropriate things that later get them either reprimanded, fired or in some cases arrested themselves. Make sure you have a lawyer who is willing to examine all the issues in your case including the way you were treated.

Without reviewing all the facts and evidence, it is not possible to give a proper opinion regarding the liklihood of sucess of your case.

If you are charged with an offense, do not file anything at this point against the officer. You should wait until your case is over. Once your case is over and you neck is out of the noose, then you can file any complaints you have about the officer's conduct with internal affairs at the police department.
Ken Dion, 561-835-9833