Skip to main content

Are guardianship cases filed in the superior court of the county in which the person resides; or in a district court?

Goldendale, WA |

We will be filing for the guardianship of our daughter who is intellectually disabled before she turns 18. She is now 17. Also, do we need to take the online class on guardianship?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

It's superior court...I'm not sure about a course, but I can offer some resources. Q&A on guardianship:

And information on alternatives (I'm sure you know what's best for your daughter, but there are degrees of intellectual disability and guardianship may not be appropriate if there are less restrictive options available):

Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Use of the Avvo Q&A forum does not create any attorney-client relationship.


In NJ, we file with in Superior Court, but the Probate part receives and admits all paperwork; they act as clerk to the Superior court in cases of guardianship.


Here is the website from the Washington courts about becoming a certified guardian. I hope this helps.

This posting is for informational purposes only. It is not legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship. For more information, please visit


Guardianships are filed in Superior Court. Washington law now requires that petitioners seeking to be appointed as guardians who are not certified professional guardians must view an online training video. You can find information about this on the website for your county's superior court. This video is to be supplied without cost to petitioners.