Are cpn numbers legal, if so how do you obtain one? Is it best to use a lawyer?

Elkins, WV |

If best to obtain a lawyer, is there a certain lawyer to seek?

Help us out. CPN number?

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

What is a CPN number?

He's talking about what is referred to as a "credit profile number". They are legal if you have a legitimate business, obtain an EIN from the IRS, and use it on business credit applications. They are ILLEGAL to use in lieu of your SSN. That would be characterized as obtaining credit by fraud.

I am not your attorney nor is any answer I may provide legal advice. You may contact me directly for legal advice only if you are a resident of Tennessee insofar as I only practice in Tennessee.