Skip to main content

Are collaborative attorneys obligated to let the client know if they feel the case is adversarial and not liking to work?

Cleveland, OH |

I just wrote about the process not going well. Is the attorney and/or the collaborative social worker
under any obligation to help the client sort out their true thoughts about the case? If we cant even agree and have a smooth transition to any of the child visitation switches, I cant imagine my controlling ex husband signing off on a collaborative agreement unless it strongly favored him. thoughts?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You need to consult with a lawyer that is not a collaborative law attorney. Sounds like you are wasting your time and money. Divorce lawyers negotiate the settlement as part of their representation of you. Most experienced divorce lawyers have doe this literally hundreds and even thousands of times.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.


No. That's one of the many reasons why you should have your own attorney review anything before you sign it.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.


I am Not sure what a collaborative lawyer is, but in Ohio a lawyer can only represent one party. Some people go to mediators, but at some point they need to reduce the agreement to writing and that usually requires an attorney. If both are reasonable then a dissolution would make the most sense. A dissolution is we're both parties agree on everything. contact an attorney to discuss your options and costs

This is a general answer and is not to be considered specific legal advise.


Collaborative divorce and related efforts are by definition suited only for persons divorcing where active animosities and personal hostilities between the parties are not at work and, generally, where there are not strongly contested issues of custody and asset allocation. The collaborative divorce process is an alternative to traditional legal process. It takes the divorce process out of court, and proceeds instead on the parties mutual choice to settle all aspects of the divorce by voluntary written agreement. Typically, the collaborative process bigins with all parties contractually agreeing to resolve all issues outside of court. For the process to work, both parties must agree to be fair, reasonable, and respectful toward each other and must live up to those agreements.The agreement to proceed by the collaborative process will not preclude you from terminating that effort and proceeding with a traditional court-filed petition for divorce.

When collaborative processes don't work, you need to convert SAP to a traditional court case.

I am closely affiliated with some attorneys whose practices are limited to collaborative processes, and I well understand the special and different skills that kind of legal practice entails. But none of those processes is a one-size fits all that can take the place of a "traditional" divorce when the basic collaborative premise of mutual commitment is not met. It is a fact that the collaborative professional "team," including the attorneys, can be slow to recognize the unsuitability of a specific matter for the collaborative process. This probably reflects the sincerity of the true believer. But you need to stay alert to the temperature of your matter. If you can't move toward in the collaborative process with confidence because of your doubts about the emotional capabilities of the other party, you will need to exercise your legal options. Talk to a skilled traditional divorce attorney.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer