Skip to main content

Are alimony payments forever?

Meriden, CT |

I am about to marry a man who has been divorced over ten years. He still pays alimony and their children are grown and have been on their own for years now. Can he change this or does he pay forever. She is not remarried.

+ Read More

Filed under: Divorce Alimony
Attorney answers 1


The answer to your question depends upon the exact wording of the alimony order in the divorce judgment. Alimony can be ordered as either modifiable or not modifiable. The judgment will contain these terms and will also explain any circumstances under which the alimony will be terminated. If your fiance does not have a copy of the judgment he can obtain a copy at the court clerk's office. If you need help interpreting the orders I would be happy to meet with the two of you for a free consultation.