Are a kitchen and full bathroom at yard level, below grade (access from street via stairs) in a 2-family house a code violation?

Brooklyn, NY |

House is a 2-family, but used as a 1-family. Would that make it OK to install kitchen and full bath under ground? Or would the only way to make it up to code be to move the kitchen to the ground floor and turn the full bath into a half? Thank you.

Depends on number of means of egress and whether there is a sprinkler system and age of the building. Consult with a local zoning lawyer or landlord tenant lawyer or licensed architect.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.