Skip to main content

Applying for US Citizenship with DUI

Seattle, WA |

Good day, I have a DUI last year and I want to file a US citizenship. Is this be a problem for me to get a US Citizebship? What will I gonna do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You have to wait until you are no longer on probation before applying . You cannot be granted citizenship if you are under any type of probationary period.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


It should not be a problem unless you are on probation.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. Make sure that when you apply you have a copy of the certificate of disposition. I recommend applying with the help of an attorney.


Make sure you are not on probation before applying. DUI is not a crime of moral turpitude in WA (assuming you got the DUI ticket in Washington). But for the probation issue, you can apply.


I think you should wait five years from the date of your conviction, at least in Seattle, that is what they would expect. You have to have a perfectly clean record during the five year period preceding your application..... DUI is not a moral turpitude crime, but it does tarnish your record. Of course, you cannot be on probation when you apply... or when you have your interview.

This is general advice, and does not constitute an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer