Skip to main content

Applying for n-400

San Diego, CA |

hello, my aunt has 70 years old and she has her green card for 5 years. she has health problem, overweight.. heart issue and we have medical record prove that.
no disability. she doesn't speak english. is it any way for her to not take the test for N-400?
Thank u

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Hello, based on the facts that you provided in your post the exemption doesn't apply, unless her disability prevents her from taking the test, there is no way around it.
Any way the test is not that hard and you don't really need to to be fluent in English to pass it.
Good luck.

Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation.


Not on the facts you give.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


There are several exceptions to the test taking requirements which may or may not apply to your aunt. Speak with an immigration attorney locally for more information.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


The medical disability exemption is for medical conditions which prevent people from being able to take the test. None of the conditions you describe appear to indicate a mental condition which prohibits her from learning English.

While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for general information purposes only and an attorney/client relationship is neither intended nor created. You should seek out qualified counsel to review your case and provide you with advice specific to your situation. Call +1-561-478-5353 to schedule a consultation with Mr. Devore.