Skip to main content

Applying for a short B2 after L1 Employment - chances of approval

New York, NY |

As a Brit in the US, I am quite likely to lose my job in the next 3 weeks, I am on a L1A.

I want to stay in the US for about 3 months to finalize my divorce, sell some items and see the country. I have no intention of working, I have good savings.

I understand that I can apply for a B2, and while it is being processed I can stay legally.

2 questions.
1) Would a request for a B2 for 3 months likely be approved, I only care because I don't want to have a Visa rejected and then be unable to use a visa waiver program.
2) Am I able to interview for jobs in this time, I would be either looking to get a role on a O1 visa, or somehow another L1 role with the parent company of my current company.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is no reason it cannot be approved, as long as you can show you can support yourself without working without authorization. There is no law against interviewing for jobs, but that is not a basis for a B2, since it evidences an intent to change to another status.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


yes and yes.

J.W.LAW, Office locations: Quincy & Worcester, MA, New York Tel. 617.221.3030 If you find the attorneys' answers are helpful, please thank the attorneys by marking their answers "helpful" or "best answers" so that they can get their credit from AVVO. The attorneys donate their time on AVVO to answer legal questions for free merely contribute their legal advice and do not create any legal representation relationships.



Lawyers that tell you what you want to hear are always the best! , thanks .


If all this a maneuver to get more time to stay here between statuses, do not do that, it will be considered visa fraud eventually in a very unexpended context. DO talk to an experienced immigraiton lawyer. You might be glad you did. Your potentially life changing decision as this one is worth the investment, I am sure.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer