Skip to main content

Applied for ITIN to IRS along with Original Passport. IRS did not return the passport and are unable to locate it.

Baton Rouge, LA |

IRS advocate also not able help us in this matter but asked to submit form 5646- Claim for Damage, Injury or Death. Lost all hopes of getting back passport from IRS, submitted the form 5646 to claims management. We have to wait and see what they will answer. Could you please guide me what can I do to get back my passport from IRS? Passport has valid US visa and it is the only identification document I have. I am lost completely staying back at home more than 75 days without any ID. Cannot travel, cannot apply for bank account, cannot apply for Driving License and cannot apply for SSN if I get job eligibility. Please help me in this regard. Thank you so much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

Don't bother anymore, it's no use.. Contact your consulate to issei you a new one ASAP.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


As sad as this situation might be, it is not a question of US immigration law.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi


Great advice by Mr. Segal as always


Unfortunately, immigration attorneys will not be able to answer this question as it does not concern US immigration laws.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer