Skip to main content

Anything I can do to stop empty legal threat?

Woodinville, WA |

My ex asked for major change in our parenting plan and I already told him that I do not want to make any changes. He then kept threating me on various emails that he is going to file a petition and I need to give him an answer by a certain date otherwise we are going to court..etc. I'm really tired of getting these empty threats (so far).. and it forced me having to find an attorney to protect myself. How can I stop these from him?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Legally you can't stop him, but you can tell him to put up or shut up. If it continues I would recommend you seeing an attorney to take over and inform him to put up or shut up. At some point it could get into abusive use of conflict, but not yet.

Legal disclaimer: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


NO. He has a right to file a petition -- you always have the option of ignoring him.

Please note that THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE and are for informational purposes only. This response is not intended to create any attorney-client relationship and is only based on the limited facts given. The response might change should additional facts be learned and should not be relied on as legal advice. It is recommended that you consult with an attorney who can properly assess the situation, as well as all pertinent facts, prior to taking any action based on the foregoing statements


Consult with an attorney and, depending on his basis for the claim, think of two options: (a) ignore him and have an attorney tell him you will not be responding to these emails anymore, or (b) file first and get the drop on him.

Any answer given is an opinion based on facts presented and does not constitute legal advice.


Ignore him, but if it gets really bad consider talking to an attorney for filing an anti harassment order. There may be enough there to meet the elements of harassment . Besides that he has the right to file for modification, but that does not mean he will get it. If he does, you might want to hire an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer