Any Advice! My lawyer filed My 1-360 Vawa, i-485,i-765 concurrently. She use C31 Category for 1-765 work permit is that correct?

Anaheim, CA |

Until now i havent receive any Biometric Appointment for work permit and I am so worried its been 2 months! some said is should use C9 Category for VAWA pending and AOS Im so confused! did my lawyer made some error. Please Help i need a work permit!

Yes, (c)(31) is the correct designation for a VAWA self petitioner.

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr

No, it isn't. (c)(31) is for an APPROVED I-360. You can file it concurrently but will still have to wait a long time for the I-360 approval before the EAD can issue. However, because the I-360 was filed concurrently with an adjustment application, the (c)(9) category should have been used, since that only requires a pending I-485, and EAD issuance should be in 60-90 days.

I guess I should have use (c)(9). I can't wait for my I-360 approval to get a work permit. I have pending I-485.

David Eli Larson

David Eli Larson

Mark is correct that (c)(9) is the proper code to use. I am assuming your spouse is a US citizen based on your lawyer submitting the I-485 at the same time as the I-360. If your spouse is not a US citizen, you will have to wait longer than the 3 months to get work authorization. Ask your lawyer to check the status of your I-765, or use the USCIS Customer Service Number, 1-800-375-5283, to check the status yourself. You can ask the customer service representative to inform the Vermont Service Center that you are married to a US citizen and are eligible for work authorization immediately because of your pending I-485. Make sure you have your VSC receipt number when you call.

David Eli Larson

David Eli Larson

Mark, are people experiencing longer processing times for the EAD when the (c)(31) code is used even though the I-485 is submitted concurrently?

Yes my husband is a USC.

David Eli Larson

David Eli Larson

Good, don't freak out. Just follow up and have your lawyer follow up.

Ok thank you. Should i ask my lawyer to change it to Category (C)(9) instead of (c)(31)?

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr

David, I don't know the answer to that question. As I mentioned to the posted, it's entirely possible that USCIS will still treat it as a (c)(9), rather than (c)(31), when the I-485 shows in the system. You would think there would be some built-in flexibility, since a lot of these filings are done pro se. I don't have first hand knowledge, because I think we've been pretty good about filing them as (c)(9) where appropriate. Probably a decent idea for the lawyer to supplment with clarification, though, rather than just waiting and hoping that the Service sorts it out.

David Eli Larson

David Eli Larson

To view this email as a web page, go here. <http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=7559061590418ee730224c75c49182a7d9c9b66 5c21a34c8a2931397b758d6d85538d5ed0cfc5db2> The important thing is just to let the VSC know that you are eligible for work authorization immediately. David E. Larson Altick & Corwin Co., L.P.A. 1590 Fifth Third Center One South Main Street Dayton, Ohio 45402-2206 Phone; 937-223-1201 Fax: 937-223-5100 ATTORNEY-CLIENT PRIVILEGED: DO NOT FORWARD WITHOUT PERMISSION. This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. This communication may contain material protected by the attorney-client privilege or other applicable privilege. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify ALTICK & CORWIN CO., L.P.A., by return e-mail to helpdesk@altickcorwin.com. After proper notification, you must permanently dispose of this email and all associated attachments. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with new requirements of the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that, to the extent any advice relating to a Federal tax issue is contained in this communication, including in any attachments, it was not written or intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (a) avoiding any tax related penalties that may be imposed on you or any other person under the Internal Revenue Code, or (b) promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any transaction or matter addressed in this communication. PLEASE BE NOTIFIED THAT OUR ORDINARY LETTERS AND E-MAILS TO YOU ARE NOT INTENDED TO MEET THE "COVERED OPINION" TEST. If you seek materials that do meet this test and thus may be relied upon for preventing federal tax penalties, please feel free to specifically request them.

Instructions for I-765 would provide answers. c31 could be used, c9 for pending adjustment

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Call (212)880-1538 for detailed evaluation of your case. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore, You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. Visit us at WWW.USIMMIGRATIONPLUS.COM Contact Immigration Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016

Either designation would be OK and should not be a reason for the delay. As of now, many biometric processing centers have been backlogged because of the DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals). That may be the reason. If you are very concerned, you can request an infopass (infopass.uscis.gov) and see what is going on with your case. I wouldn't worry about it to much for now but if it takes more than 90 days, then I would make an infopass appointment or have your attorney schedule it. Hope this helps!

The answers provided should not be considered legal advice. They are for general information only. It is always recommended you consult with an attorney prior to taking any action.

Isn't it C31 if my Vawa is approved? I still have I-360 which is pending and it takes 19 months to get approve. While category c9 requires only pending I-485 I do have current priority date with my previous I-485 from my husband my work permit revoked due to my husband withdrawal of I-130 and I-485 and I-765