Ankle monitor as condition of probation

Atlanta, GA |

My friend has been on ankle monitor for 10 months now his court date is coming . Can the judge make ankle monitor as part of probation requirement on plea . Her crime of was violation of top . Her friend says not possible as this monitoring can only be used for pretrial .

Electronic monitoring can be a condition of probation.

Any response given is not to be taken as legal advice or to create an attorney client relationship.

Her friend is absolutely wrong. Electronic monitoring can absolutely be a condition of probation. I would be more concerned with having a stalking conviction on my record than having to wear an ankle monitor though. I hope your friend has an aggressive attorney working to try and keep a conviction from getting on their record.

Is it normal for court to do so i.e have ankle monitor on in such case as part of probation? We were just thinking they let her be on bond pre-trial so this condition was put.

Michael Jason Rhoades

Michael Jason Rhoades

Every case is different. It really depends on the circumstances and the negotiations between the prosecutor, judge, and defense attorney.

She has no attorney some guy from court helping her.She says she will get like 5 years probation. To be on a monitor for 5 years is a long time?Is this really right and practical that they can do?

Michael Jason Rhoades

Michael Jason Rhoades

She needs a lawyer. I can't tell you what's right without knowing all of the details. If you would like to discuss representation, please feel free to email me at jason@rhoadesandmiller.com

She has been getting some "street law" advice from a "street lawyer" and - as usual - it is wrong. GPS monitoring can be a condition of probation. The systems are increasingly sophisticated, and can trigger if a person leaves a certain area (distance from home, county, state) or enters another area.

I had many such cases. Give me a call.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at www.SteakleyLawFirm.com or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.