Skip to main content

An uninsured truck totalled my car. Driver fled the scene. How do I find the owner of the truck? (Harris Co., Tx)

Houston, TX |

The driver was likely intoxicated and the truck did ot belong to him. he gave me a fictitious name, but the truck belong to a neighbor of mine (police wouldn't say exactly who but they said it was a woman). My car is nothing but scrap metal now. I took good photos of it and sold it for scrap since I had to obatin a new primary vehicle right away.

Is there any hope I will ever be able to discover the identity of the uninsured truck owner and put a lien on her house or something? Most of our residents own their properties. What is my statute of liitations for this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

You can also find relevant information on websites such as and Good luck.


You should run a check with the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.


You cannot put a lien on the house due to the homestead exemption. However, the owner of the vehicle's insurance policy should cover your property damages. If you sustained bodily injury, you should consult with an attorney immediately. Feel free to call me. 512-472-8318

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer