Skip to main content

An Indian citizen and now in the US, I was born in Ghana -need to get a duplicate birth certificate from Apam, Ghana. Need help

Princeton, NJ |

I am in the process of applying for my green card and one of the requirements is an original birth certicficate. I was born in Ghana and I do not have the birth certificate with me. I need to get a certificate from Ghana or a proof that my birth was registered. How do I get it from Ghana since there is no online service and I do not have anyone living there currently

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Contact the Ghanian consulate nearest to you, in NY I presume, or even better, their embassy in D.C.. for guidance on obtaining a certified copy of a Ghanian birth certificate.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree. Contact the Ghana Embassy in the US.

This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship.


As my distinguished colleagues suggested, call the closest consulate or embassy and inquire as to how to obtain the birth certificate!

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.


Contact the Embassy of Ghana in NY or Washington DC.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer