Skip to main content


Santa Ana, CA |

The mechanic that worked on my vehicle apparently didn't know what he was doing and installed a part incorrectly, which caused damages to my vehicle . I took my car back multiple times because my AC still was not working properly and they couldn't figure the reason. My AC was blowing warm air & condensation was dripping inside the vehicle. I was really concerned and took it to another mechanic which discovered the part was not installed properly which caused a lot of damage. The cost to repair the vehicle was almost 3 X's the amount. Parts were also missing on the vehicle. I was finally able to get the auto shop to refund the amount I paid him, but he would not reimburse me for the damages and missing parts. What are my options??? Would cashing the refund check affect anything?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Where the consumer has been the victim of improper vehicle repair services, and the repair facility will not rectify the situation voluntarily, the consumer can bring a complaint to California's Bureau of Automotive Repair. That is the State licensing agency that regulates vehicle repair services. The BAR can investigate and can cause reimbursement as part of an agency-ordered remedy that affects the license of the repair facility. The potential for a BAR complaint is often sufficient to cause the facility to try harder to resolve the consumer's problem. BAR investigations are often covert; any enforcement processes will be very expensive for the business to defend, and enforcement processes can have a disastrous impact on business revenues. It is often wise to have one last candid discussion with the Manager of the facility before the consumer resorts to a BAR complaint.

Here is the link for the on-line complaint to BAR:

Christine McCall, License Advocates Law Group

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.