Skip to main content

American Passport. Citizenship for child.

Chicago, IL |

My baby was born here,in USA. If I decide to take her abroad with me , how can we renew her American Passport ( every 5 years?) saying in another country ? And what to do so she can't lost her American citizenship?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Hi there. Since your child was born here she is an American citizen. Unlike is the case for a naturalized citizen or green card holder, nobody can strip her of her citizenship if she acquired it by birth. She can herself formally renounce her citizenship or give it up by becoming a citizen of another country that has no dual citizenship agreement with the U.S. or which contradicts US citizenship, but merely by remaining out of the country will not take away her citizenship. That being said, it is of the utmost importance for you to always carry the proof of her US citizenship in the form of a valid passport. You should be able to renew her passport at the American consulate nearest to the place you will be living abroad.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.


Citizenship once acquired by birth or naturalization cannot be lost (rather denounced). As far as renewing passport - can renew at US embassy/consulate abroad.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.


This is NOT an immigration law question.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


You written something very peculiar such as" If I decide to take her abroad with me", however, legally you cannot just bluntly take a U.S. born citizen minor abroad for any period of time, especially of a planned prolonged nature you indicated, without an express written authorization of the other parent for that US born child, otherwise your actions will constitute a federal crime of kidnapping.
If in fact your family jointly plans to reside abroad together the U.S. born citizen minor could always renew his/her U.S. Passport at a closest U.S. Consular Section.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer