Skip to main content

Amending a counterclaim.

Phoenix, AZ |

Would one have to request permission from the court to amend a counterclaim or can the counterclaim be amended automatically if the Plaintiff received permission from the court and subsequently amended the original complaint.

Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


First, you must request a stipulation to the amendment from the other side. If they refuse, make a motion to amend.


If you have agreement from the other party, you file a stipulation to amend without requesting leave of court. If the other party does not agree, you must request court permission, but amendments are liberally allowed in the interest of justice.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer