Am I responsible for my cousin student loan ? I am still her joint sponsor , she is still a green card holder

Paterson, NJ |

I was the co-signer ( I-864 ) when she got married like 3 years ago to an American citizen. she has a green card now , and just applied for some kind of student loan for her school, I am worried , is this have anything to do with me been her joint sponsor ?

no
I-864 ensures that she will not become a public charge and will not use means tested public benefits. you are not responsible for her student loan, unless you co-sign and she stops paying on it.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

Unless you sign her loan as a co-signer, the affidavit of support you completed for immigration does not include student loans.

You are responsible to ensure that she is at 125% of the poverty line. Generally a student loan is not a needs based public benefit, so you should not be liable for that, or other debts your cousin incurs.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.