Am I on a theft data base? Will this effect me getting another job/ a real job in the future? I'm 19 years old and a student.

Staten Island, NY |

I got caught taking store credit from CVS worth $42.00. I know it was stupid and will never do it again. They fired me and made me sign papers saying I know I was wrong. I got a letter from Neal C Tenen saying I owe $250. They told me I was only paying $42. Should I ignore the letter?

You can ignore the letter although the statement you signed will get you on the National Retailers Theft Database where it will stay for 7 years. It's unclear who exactly uses this database but Walmart Does and other large chains are likely to. If you apply for a retail job that checks the database you won't get it.

Your question includes at least four separate questions. You should consult with an attorney regarding all four issues presented. Theft offenses can cause all manner of problems for you down the road if not handled properly.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy

Before you make a payment you should consult with an attorney in private.

The answers provided are of a general nature and are not intended to be final or complete answers of any individual's legal questions. Other facts not considered may change the analysis or outcome. Do not rely on information presented herein to address your individual legal concerns. Your receipt of information from this website does not create an attorney-client relationship and the legal privileges inherent therein. If you have a legal question, you should consult an attorney experienced in that area of the law. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you hire an attorney, you should request information about the attorney's qualifications and experiences. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area. NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum.

Under General Obligations Law 11-105, they can only make a civil demand for up to five times the value of the property or in this case $210 NOT $250. While no attorney can guarantee they won't sue, it is unlikely that they will for such a small amount. Theft databases are privately owned and operated so there is no way to say with certainty if you are on it or not. I have only heard of instances where it prevented people from getting jobs working in retail companies.

I am a former Brooklyn Criminal Court Deputy Bureau Chief with over 17 years experience specializing in handling criminal cases. All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. Also, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication.

I appreciate your response but do you think its highly likely for them to come after me if I don't pay?