Skip to main content

Am i liable for the accident after being giving permission to test drive vehicle.

Canton, GA |

i had test drive a vehicle at dealership was giving permission to test drive was not ask for drivers license or sign wavier or anyone in vehicle with me when i when to test drive the vehicle,had accident was my fault was giving ticket for driving to close.called manger came out there he was mad never ask was i alright ask me to sign a wavier after the fact I refuse.P.S. ask if we had to sign anything he said go and test drive I told him I did not need to but persit so I did as he ask you is liable for both cars

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6

Best Answer

Consult with a local attorney and notify your insurance carrier. Do not sign anything or make statements to anyone otherwise.

This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice. Providing this information does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is any information shared considered privileged or confidential. As with all legal matters, you should contact an experienced attorney and be aware that there are time limits for asserting potential claims.


Who you do have to talk to is the dealership. When you test drive a car they have a legal duty to put a "demo" or "dealer" plate on the car. That plate also has their insurance info on it. When you are authorized to take a test drive, the dealership insures the car, not you. You don't need to sign a waiver or anything like that for them to insure the car. But you should be careful what you say to the insurance companies, they will try to turn your words around on you.

licensed attorney in Montana. Your specific state laws may be different.


If you have auto insurance call them ASAP and report the accident. Do not sign anything or give any recorded statements.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


From the facts, it appears that you were at fault and that you, your insurance carrier or the insurance carrier for the dealership will be responsible.


You should consult with an attorney. If you are at-fault for an accident you typically are responsible for the damages you cause. You should as the other attorneys have mentioned, contact your insurance and set up a claim immediately. I would be hesitant to speak to any other insurance companies until you have spoken with an attorney.

Good luck.

This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.


Don't sign anything without a lawyer. You can be criminally charged with the accident, and if you did get a ticket, discuss that with your atorney. Report the accident to your car insurer, but, in many cases, the dealer's car insurance may be responsible.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer