Skip to main content

Am I liable for code violations if I am not the tenant of the home in question?

Clearwater, FL |

I live in unincorporated Pinellas County. I was cited by code enforcement for an unregistered vehicle and "debris" on property which I live at. However, I have not signed the rental agreement and the car that was unregistered does not belong to me and has never been in my name.

I want to contest the citations in court but I am unsure whether I am legally liable for the citations or not.

For the record, code enforcement had my name because I was the one who was home and answered the door when they showed up.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Hard to answer this without more facts. How did code enforcement get your name? Are you in possesion of the propery even though you are not the tenant on the lease? What is your agreement with the tenant for payment of expenses at the property? If you have a written agreement you need to have it reviewed by an attorney. If you have no lease, you should notify the tenant who does have the lease asap abou the code violations

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices., 305 377 1505


Code enforcement typically uses the property owner's name because they are ultimately responsible. Do what you can to help the landlord solve the problem and you may want to call or go down to the city building department and give them something in writing that explains you are the tenant, not the owner, and that the car is not registered to you.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer