Am I liable as a homeowner if my roommate's dog bites another dog (or human) on the grounds of my condominium complex?

Laguna Beach, CA |

If my roommate's dog bites another dog or person on the condominium grounds (not on my personal condo's property, but the common area of the condo association) where I live, am I liable as a homeowner here?

Will you get sued? Probably - anyone can sue anybody for anything. Will the suit be successful? That's impossible to say. I suggest that you require your roommate to have insurance on any pets that will cover bites or injuries caused by a pet and that they sign an agreement indemnifying you in the case of a bite or injury. Such an agreement should be part of any agreement you have your roommate sign. A local attorney can assist you in drafting the agreement. The State Bar of California can give you a referral: www.calbar.ca.gov/

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

Laura Mcfarland-Taylor

I meant to add: you should also speak with your insurance carrier to make sure you are adequately covered.