Am I going to lose US citizenship if I become a Belgium citizen?

Kennesaw, GA |

I immigrate to US and became a citizen. I live in Belgium and I am thinking to apply for a Belgium citizenship. Am I going to lose my US citizenship if I do so? I will have 3 citizenship then, my original one, american and Belgian. Is it possible to have three citizenship?
Thank you very much

Filed under: US citizenship

It is. But you need to check whether Belgium will allow you to be multinational.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at www.tunitskylaw.com. Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at veronica@tunitskylaw.com. Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.

Hope this information is helpful, it was acquired from the Department of State (See website link below):

A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.