Skip to main content

Am I forced to pay a student bill for a semester of school that I never attended?

Newburgh, NY |

I made a mistake two years ago by registering for classes & then never attending/withdrawing properly due to the fact that I was misinformed. thinking if I didn't complete the Financial Aid & FAFSA forms that I wouldn't be able to attend. I missed the deadline & never went. A school counselor told me I would need to pay a bill of $4148 in order to be able to attend any classes in the future. This includes a fee of $1950 for a non-resident fee although I am a resident of NY, at that time I didn't fill out the form because I didn't think I would be attending. Due to their policy, they can only accept that form up to 1 year. Now I'm forced to pay a huge bill for something that I got completely nothing out of. If I don't get this settled, I may not even be able to attend another other school.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This is a dilemma because a legal fight will cost more than the amount of money demanded by the school. Make an effort to try and negotiate a significant reduction in the amount demanded by the school. If that doesn't work, retain legal counsel for the express and limited purpose of negotiating the demand downward.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer