Skip to main content

Am I eligible for court supervision in Illinois after two car accidents?

Round Lake, IL |

I live in Illinois and was in two car accidents in less than a week, cited for failure to reduce speed in both cases (one in Lake Co, the other in McHenry Co). I have no other traffic violations on my record in more than ten years. Is it possible to get court supervision for one or both of these violations?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes, it is possible.


Here is what you need to do - contact a traffic ticket attorney in your community, someone with experience. Meet with the attorney to discuss your options. It is not possible for attorneys on AVVO to figure out how the court will handle the matter.


Yes but I think you'd be smart to retain a traffic lawyer for both. Report both to your insurer too.

Stephen L. Hoffman
Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
Chicago, IL

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.



Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


I live and practice in Lake and McHenry counties and would be happy to give you a free consultation regarding your tickets. It is possible to obtain supervision, especially as both cases, especially if you have not been on supervision in the last year.

As has been advised, make sure you are coordinating with your insurance company as well.

Also you should be aware that you already have an attorney (of a sort) in the form of the insurance company which will handle the traffic accident aspects of your cases, but likely not the traffic tickets. This may help you put your mind at ease as the damage to the vehicles (hopefully no medical in the case but that too is insurance) is going to be the costlier aspects.

Failure to reduce speed is a subjective citation often issued to the driver who is deemed to be the one who hit the other other vehicle (usually the guy in the rear who hit the guy up front). If an officer actually saw the accident, than its a good ticket and you need to plea. If an officer deduced failure to reduce speed from coming upon the accident later, well then we may be able to poke some reasonable doubt into such a conclusion.

This kind of analysis is very fact specific and may or may not even apply in your situation. Also if you did not get any other citations, i.e. no insurance, DUI, no seat-belt, improper registration, there is even more wiggle room that would lean toward supervision. The damage caused in the accident and if anybody was hurt are also factors that will influence how the ticket is handled.

Are you dealing with Villages or County? You will know this by who issued you the citations. Villages are more apt to settle as they do not always have the overtime funds (or simply do not wish to pay the overtime) to pay an officer to come into Court for a bench trial (especially if the officer works nights). On the other hand, the County is very busy too and any case they can dispose of and move their very busy docket forward is something they will explore.

You should talk to a local traffic attorney. Most of us, myself included will give you a free consultation.

Best of luck in your situation.

This answer is marginal legal advice and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Every client and case is unique. The best advice is to always consult with an attorney. Free legal resources at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer