Skip to main content

Am I due compensation for falling on a grocery store sidewalk and breaking ankle?

Auburn, AL |

5 weeks ago, I fell outside a grocery store. It was slippery as it was raining and had not rained in a while. I broke all three bones in my ankle. I was not going to bring a suit, but I've had several people tell me I should. Would I have a case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


depends on why you fell. If it was merely raining, then probably not. If the surface is slippery when raining because they used the wrong kind of surface there, then perhaps. In order to recover there must be a defect that the grocery store is responsible for.

This is general advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.


Ouch, very painful. You should without equivocation contact local and qualified personal injury counsel. You may or may not have a case, but the time to protect yourself is now. Do not speak with any insurance companies. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Not unless there was something about the sidewalk that was always dangerous when wet.


You have not provided enough information. Just because you fell does not make the store laible. What did they do or not do that contributed to your fall. Falling on a sidewalk that is wet because it's raining would not make anyone liable. Now, if there is something wrong with the sidewalk that made it a danger, for example, it's painted with paint that makes the surface more slick when wet, then that's a different case.

If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.


It depends on what caused the fall. They are not responsible for rain on sidewalk.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.


Alabama has terrible premises liabiity laws. If you fell on a wet sidewalk you are out of luck. You may however want to check and see if they have medical payment coverage which may pay your medical bills.


Not unless there was negligence or some defect or dangerous condition. Have a local personal injury lawyer investigate.


Yes, other people often say, "You oughtta sue them." But the store had to actually do something wrong (or not do something they should have), like the other answers here have said. Checking with them about some sort of medpay on their insurance coverage--sort of a no-fault--is definitely a good idea.

The Alabama Rules of Professional Responsibility direct that I state that no representation is made herein that the quality of legal services to be performed is greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. ALSO: Be advised that our discussion here does not in any way establish an attorney-client relationship.


In order for them to be liable there must be a showing that they did something unreasonable that caused your fall. Sometimes there are policies of insurance that provide a minimal amount of coverage for medical bills. This is known as medical payments coverage and you do not have to show fall in order to collect. The coverage typically is $1000-$5000 and the bills must be presented with in a one year period. Keep in mind that this is a generalized statement and different policies of insurance provide for different things.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer