Skip to main content

Am I being extorted according to California law?

San Gabriel, CA |

My dad passed away in U.S. He had a safety box with my sibling in Asia. In it is the grant deed to the property he gave me in Asia. Dad instructed sibling to return grant deed to me since I had no access to the safety box. Sibling has returned to Asia twice after dad passed away without returning the deed to me. He said I would have to pay for his airline tickets he quoted at USD$5,000. But he had to return to Asia two times already anyway. I also found out the ticket cost only $1,060 round trip. Has he committed extortion based on California law? If not, has he committed any other offenses?

+ Read More

Filed under: Criminal defense
Attorney answers 2


I am not sure that you are posting your question in the right section. This issue would probably better addressed by a civil attorney, perhaps even a probate attorney. Given that you haven't listed any instances of your sibling using force or threatening you I don't know that there are any facts to support a claim of extortion. As to your other question, "has he committed any other offense" - that's really kind of vague, similar to asking how long is a piece of string? Don't forget you have posted your question in a forum where criminal defense attorneys respond... maybe if there's a prosecutor lurking on the forum they could give you some insight as to any other potential offenses. I hope you are able to resolve your differences with your sibling without the need to involve the authorities. Good luck to you.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and shall not constitute legal advice. I have answered a question on a public forum which does not establish any attorney-client relationship. For a more detailed legal analysis you should consult with a legal professional in your area.


I agree with Mr. Keating. You need to address this question to a civil attorney with experience in property law and/or wills & estates law.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.