Am i and my daughter eligible for asylum after fleeing from a home country for the fear of Female genital cut on my daughter?

Cincinnati, OH |

We entered US on valid visa January 2013,we have submitted our application but still awaiting interview and other biometric checks.

Best Answer

Your daughter likely has a strong case. If you were subjected to female genital mutilation in the past (or another form of persecution or fear of future persecution) that may be enough for you to qualify for asylum as well but you would need to file a separate application for yourself. Are you working with an attorney? If not, you should be.

A grant of asylum requires that a person have reasonable fear or persecution or to have already experienced persecution in the past. Female genital mutilation is one of the categories that is recognized under asylum law (but it is not the only one). If your daughter is granted asylum it does not mean you will automatically have the right to stay here as well.

Consult with an attorney who specializes in asylum. If you cannot afford one you should attempt to contact free immigration clinics that are affiliated with law schools, or pro bono/non profit organizations that work with immigrants.

Please seek advice from a qualified attorney to make sure you and your daughter can stay safely in the United States.

Thanks for the advise...

I have submitted separate application forms ,,,,,I did not have an attorney

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

Sasha O. Lazarevich-Sinnott

You should still retain an attorney to see what (if anything) can be done or if you will need an attorney to accompany you to the interview. Chatting briefly with attorneys on avvo is not enough.

Ok ,thank you i will try and seek an attorney's advice.

You daughter definitely has a case if facts are proven. You - is a much more difficult subject all together.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Your

I flee her to protect her from my husband's relative and i in particularly was discriminated because i have never been circumcised because i am from different ethnic origin from my husband's.I have gathered all my evidences regarding that matter before we came.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I am not arguing with you. Just trying to hel. Even more liberal jurisdictions in this country still require that you show connection between hard to your daughter and you. Hire an attorney. Will be the best thing to do.

I too i am not arguing....I did not hire an attorney because i cannot afford it.I have already submitted the application ,my daughter is 3 years ,i accompanied her to protect her because she cannot travel alone....

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I would be happy to take your case pro bono but I am not in your state. I am in NYC

I submitted the application in NY but am staying in Ohio for the time being,I don't have someone to accommodate me there,but i used a friend's address for any correspondence....He will contact me for any correspondence from them,

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I told you. Would be happy to help, but what you are doing is misrepresentation and can lead to serious problems. If you were in NY indeed, I would be able to take your case pro bono as I said.

The application has now reached vermont asylum office,there were few incomplete questions on my daughter and it was sent back to me for adjust,i resend it back to them last week,,,

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

OK, question?

you want to asked me question? i don't get you

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

You said you mailed the forms back to VSC. There was no quesiton attached to it. I asked you whether you had a question for me.

I submitted to application on my point of entry the week i entered but unfortunately my friend house was very tight to accommodate me and kids.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

You know what, contact me directly, not on a public forum.

It was mailed from NY.whats your number

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

I am sure you will find my information on my website.

Ok i have seen your information,just sent you mail...

Have you been working with an attorney on your cases? Asylum law is very complex, and it's often quite difficult to be granted asylum without the involvement of an attorney. I suggest that you consult with an immigration lawyer as soon as possible.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

Thank you for the advise...its healpful to me.

The fear of Female genital mutilation can be the basis for your daughter's asylum, BUT it depends on the facts and circumstances. You most definitely should consult with an attorney to make sure that you document all the key issues and are extremely well-prepared for your asylum interview. Whether you as the parent can also get asylum will also depend on the circumstances. If you like, call me for a free consultation by phone (or the next time you are in Cleveland). 216-338-2120

You should always consult with an experienced immigration attorney to make certain that the advice you received is appropriate for your particular immigration case.

what time should i call you?