Skip to main content

Am I able to personally email or otherwise contact the judge I am assigned to?

Huntington Beach, CA |

I have been going through a custody battle with my daughter's father. We started in the domestic violence department when i first left him. He openly admited to illegal activites etc. while our daughter was present which were dismissed because they weren't relevent to that case but would be dealt with in family court, which they have to this point not surfaced. He continues to get more time with our daughter and is to begin overnight visits which terrifies me because of his lifestyle and the people he is in contact with. I have been frustrated with my lawyer for not bringing up relevant information, admissions from my ex, photos of evidence etc. in court and wont allow me to either. I also feel the judge hasnt read our old files since she so easily wanted to give a 50-50 arrangement.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


"Am I able to personally email or otherwise contact the judge I am assigned to?" -- No. Ex parte communications are not allowed.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference


No, you can't. If you aren't happy with your attorney, you may want to make an appointment with a few attorneys who offer free initial consultations, such as myself. I know for myself, if a client were ever unhappy with what I was doing, I would rather them find another attorney. For further information, visit

Since legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent legal counsel.



You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer