Skip to main content

Am i able to get my U.S. citizenship through the process of acquisition

Los Angeles, CA |

I am 25 and was born in Mexico . Both my parents attained their citizenship before I turned 18(I was about 11/12 years old) .

+ Read More

Filed under: US citizenship
Attorney answers 3


More information is needed. Were you admitted or adjusted as a lawful permanent resident when you were under 18 years of age? If not, then you must be petitioned by one of your parents for permanent residence.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.



Yes, I was a permanent resident (visa expired nov.2012). I was assigned my green card in 2000 .


You would be a citizen if you became a permanent resident before you turned 18

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


Whether you became a USC citizen depends on whether you were in the US in legal permanent status when your parents naturalized.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.