Skip to main content

Already have a OPT visa, can I ask for a J-2 and EAD in advance?

New York, NY |

My husband has a J1 visa for 2 months now and I will need a new visa soon since my OPT is ending in 4 months. Can I apply now for a J2 visa and an EAD at the same time?

More details, my question is about applying for the visa now that would start in 4 months. I don't want to loose my ead.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can apply for a change of status to J-2 at any time.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



Free Consultation Anywhere in USA | 626-399-4194 | |


Agreed. You will need to file the change of status form with the supporting documents that are required. Otherwise, the application may be delayed and that can prove frustrating. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.