Alimony obligation for disabled spouse.

Jersey City, NJ |

My husband and I have been married for a year and a half. We do not have children together, nor do we own any property. He has been on permanent disability for mental illness since before we were together. I work full-time, he does not work. What would be my alimony obligation to him?

Alimony is very fact specific. However, based on the limitted information here you may be required to pay alimony.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

As the above answer indicated, alimony is fact specific and the court looks at a number of statutory factors when deciding if alimony is appropriate, including the payee's need, and the payor's ability to pay, length and duration of the marriage, marital lifestyle of the parties, etc. Far from a slam dunk that he would receive alimony. You should definitely consult with an attorney in your area to discuss in further detail.

Disclaimer: The information here is general and not intended to be construed as legal advice or form an attorney-client relationship. For specific advice contact a qualified attorney. James R. Fridie III Esq. The Fridie Law Group LLC 200 Campbell Drive, Suite 226 Willingboro, NJ 08046 (856) 505-8610 Office (856) 513-2810 Fax (609) 367-4688 Cell FLG@fridielawgroup.com If you found this information helpful please click the thumbs up icon below.

Those facts would be weighed by a judge when reviewing any alimony from you to him.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

It is difficult to answer without more information. Alimony was created to assist a spouse who lost the opportunity to advance his or her career during the marriage.  The purpose of alimony is to assist that spouse in maintaining a comparable life style that he or she shared while he or she was married.  Some of the factors that a court will consider in determining whether or not to award alimony include, but are not limited to, their respective ability to pay, the duration of the marriage, the age and health of the parties, the standard of living during the marriage, their earning capabilities and employability and equitable distribution of the marital property.

If you want to speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law, call us at 973-562-0100. Our firm is concentrated in family law and estate planning case. Also below are links to our blog articles that may assist you with your issue.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
The Micklin Law Group
187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
Nutley, NJ 07110
973-562-0100
Brad@Micklinlawgroup.com
www.micklinlawgroup.com

Please mark as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if our advice helped you. This information is based upon the limited facts you presented. My advice is based on New Jersey law and may be different if I find that the facts presented are different. Additionally, this answer does not contain any confidential information nor does it create any attorney/client relationship.