Skip to main content

Agreed to make payments on $2000 in back rent, being told he wants the whole thing or he will sue. What should I expect if sued?

Waco, TX |

Lived in a RV park from June 2012 to February 2013. Left due to extreme high rent. Being told I owe $2000 for back rent. There was never any rental agreement signed. I'm not disagreeing the amount owed. Told me I need to pay the full amount or he will turn it over to his attorney. I've told him I wasn't sure if I can come up with the full amount, but that I would pay him back monthly till paid in full. Due to the fact I'm a single dad paying a large amount of child support and barely making it I would do what I could ($100 a month) until I could come up with the balance. I've told him I want to avoid lawyers if possible and willing to work with him anyway I can. He's acting like he is unwilling to accept small payments. Wants the entire balance now.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


He may be bluffing. If he his serious, then he can get a judgment against you if he wins (that is if you owe past rent). Then he has to try and collect, which is not easy for him to do in Texas. An attorney would probably cost you more than the debt, so that is not really an option. Maybe if you just start sending him what you can he will settle down about it.

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.


If you do not have an agreement in writing, then how can he prove what you owe unless you agree it is owed. Make sure his math is right. If it is, let him sue and try to collect. He'll eventually accept payments, $2,000 isn't worth enough to drag it out like he or she has threatened.

Know YOUR Rights. Take Action Now. CALL 855-648-4695. Legal disclaimer:This message does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any statements are made for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Mr. Crockett is licensed in Texas in Illinois only.


So let him turn it over to his attorney.
When attorney files lawsuit go to court
and ask to see the WRITTEN rental agreement
from his client. Tell him you'll pay $500 total
right now OR he'll get nothing. They have to
PROVE you owe this amount. If you ADMIT
to it in court that's all they need. If they get
a judgment they'll come after you for this
money . . . that's what'll happen.