Age difference for Green Card? I'm 20 and my wife is 41 years old. We have been married for almost a year now.

New York, NY |

Will this be a problem when I will be interviewed in Italy at the US Consulate for the Temporary Green Card?

Best Answer

It shouldn't be a problem ... as long as you are comfortable with the age difference and 'show' that to the Consul in Napoli.

Ciao for now, Franco

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Franco Capriotti - Senior Legal Counsel & Former Professor of Immigration Law - Capriotti International Law - franco@capriotti.com

Our services are not limited by State, nor International bounderies. Our licenses allow us to represent people worldwide.
Do not rely completely on information you get on any website. It is always wise to consult personally with an immigration attorney before taking action.

Consider contacting one of the attorneys on Avvo, or www.ailalawyer.com - If you are low income go here: www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm or http://www.immigrationlawhelp.org/
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Capriotti International Law
www.capriotti.com
franco@capriotti.com
SKYPE AVAILABLE

FORMER IMMIGRATION LAW PROFESSOR -- LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.

Ciao Franco, I've sent you an e-mail. Do you know if they will take it easy since she's not there and then they will go deep for the second interview to get the permanent green card?. So they can interview us both in separate rooms etc?.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

The Consul will not be interviewing her. In fact, the probably won't even let her into the building.

Basically, the issue is whether or not your marriage is a bona fide marriage. What does that mean? It means that you married for love, money, convenience, or any other legitimate reason other than for her to become a citizen. Expect them to question you and her separately, and they will want to know details that any married couple should know about each other. They will probably be sceptical, but if the two of you rehearse and share personal details with each other you should get through it.

The Marriage is bona fide, we got married because we love each other after staying together for 5 months. We decided to just not wait and get marry and build a life together. What I was worried about is that I am going to be interviewed by myself because I will be interviewed in Italy while she's in NY. Is that going to be a problem or they will take it easy since she's not there and then they will go deep for the second interview to get the permanent green card?.

I will be interviewed alone (sorry for bad spelling).

Expect the question on age difference may be raised, and come up with some answer to convince them that it is a marriage for love not for immigration benefit. Get all the supporting document ready.
J.W.LAW Tel. 617.221.3030

J.W.LAW Tel. 617.221.3030 If you find the attorneys' answers are helpful, please thank the attorneys by marking their answers "helpful" or "best answers" so that they can get their credit from AVVO. The attorneys donate their time on AVVO to answer legal questions for free merely contribute their legal advice and do not create any legal representation relationships.

It will be an issue but can be overcome. The issue is whether it is a real marriage. Contact an experienced immigration attorney for assistance.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.